Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology
Postdoctoral & clinical training:
2017-2019: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Boston University, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders
2016-2017: Clinical Psychology Internship Training Consortium
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
M.A. Suffolk University, Clinical Psychology (2012)
Ph.D. Suffolk University, Clinical Psychology (2017)
Areas of Expertise
Broadly, I see my program of research and current interests spanning the following three areas: 1) understanding psychiatric correlates and risk factors (e.g., substance use disorders) associated with the onset and maintenance of non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI), 2) elucidating the role of identity formation in clinical (e.g., identifying with NSSI) and more general (e.g., sexual orientation) areas of study, and 3) examining the impact of comorbid psychopathology on treatment outcome. Together, these three areas are unified by my desire to understand and identify risk factors and transdiagnostic mechanisms that lead to onset and maintenance of self-injurious thoughts and behaviors (SITBs) in emotional disorders. Consistent with clinical, developmental, and social psychology models of NSSI, I utilize cross-sectional, behavioral, and both quantitative and qualitative methodologies in my research.
Additionally, I am trained as a cognitive-behavioral therapist, with specific interests in using cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to treat mood, obsessive-compulsive, and anxiety disorders, and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for borderline personality disorder.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
1. Sauer-Zavala, S., Bentley, K. H., Jarvi Steele, S., Wilner Tirpak, J., Ametaj, A. A., Nauphal, M., Cardona, N., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (in press). Treating depression with the Unified Protocol: Results from a randomized-controlled trial. Journal of Affective Disorders.
2. Peckham, A. D., Jordan, H., Silverman, A. L., Jarvi Steele, S., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Beard, C. (2019). From urges to action: Negative urgency and nonsuicidal self-injury in an acute transdiagnostic sample. Archives of Suicide Research. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2019.1625831
3. Jarvi Steele, S., Farchione, T. J., Cassiello-Robbins, C., Ametaj, A., Sbi, S., Sauer-Zavala, S., & Barlow, D. H. (2018). Efficacy of the Unified Protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of comorbid psychopathology accompanying emotional disorders compared to treatments targeting single disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 104, 211-216. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.08.005
4. Jarvi, S. M., Swenson, L. P., & Batejan, K. L. (2017). Motivation for and use of social network sites: Comparisons among college students with and without histories of non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of American College Health, 65, 306-312. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2017.1312410
5. Jarvi, S. M., Hearon, B. A., Batejan, K. L., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Relations between past-week physical activity and recent nonsuicidal self-injury in treatment-seeking psychiatric adults. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 73, 479-488. doi: 10.1002/jclp.22342
6. Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2016). The role of positive expectancies in risk behavior: An exploration of alcohol use and non-suicidal self-injury. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 38, 115-122. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000417
7. Jarvi, S. M., Baskin-Sommers, A., Hearon, B. A., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Borderline personality traits predict poorer functioning after partial hospitalization: The mediating role of depressive symptomatology. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 40, 128-138. doi: 10.1007/s10608-015-9726-0
8. Batejan, K. L., Swenson, L. P., Jarvi, S. M., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2015). Perceptions of the functions of non-suicidal self-injury in a college sample. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 36, 338-344. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000332
9. Batejan, K. L., Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2015). Relations between sexual orientation and non-suicidal self-injury: A meta-analytic review. Archives of Suicide Research, 19, 131-150. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2014.957450
10. Muehlenkamp, J. J., Swenson, L. P., Batejan, K. L., & Jarvi, S. M. (2015). Participating in NSSI survey research: Affective reactions and urges to self-injure. Clinical Psychological Science, 3, 26-37. doi: 10.1177/2167702614531579
11. Reisner, S. L., Conron, K. J., Tardiff, L. A., Jarvi, S. M., & Austin, S. B. (2014). Monitoring the health of transgender and other gender minority populations: Validity of natal sex and gender identity survey items in a U.S. national cohort of young adults. BMC Public Health, 14, 1-10. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-1224
12. Jarvi, S. M., Jackson, B., Swenson, L. P., & Crawford, H. L. (2013). The impact of social contagion on non-suicidal self-injury: A review of the literature. Archives of Suicide Research, 17, 1-19. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2013.748404
Manuscripts Under Review:
1. Liu, R. T., Jarvi Steele, S., Hamilton, J. L., Do, Q. B. P., Furbish, K., Burke, T. A., Martinez, A., & Gerlus, N. (under review, December 2019). Sleep and suicide: A systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Clinical Psychology Review.
2. Sauer-Zavala, S., Fournier, J., Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (revise & resubmit, November 2019). Does the Unified Protocol really change neuroticism? Results from a randomized trial. Psychological Medicine.
3. Jarvi Steele, S., Furbish, K., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Swenson, L. P. (under review, September 2019). An exploratory mixed methods approach to implicit and explicit identification with non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry.
4. Bjornsson, A. S., Wessman, I., Alexandri, M., Wadsworth, L. P., Jou, J., Thorgeirsdottir, M., Krill Williston, S., Danitz, S. B., Jarvi Steele, S., Beard, C., Hofmann, S. G., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (under review, August 2019). Reactions to intrusive images cross psychiatric disorders. Behavior Research and Therapy (BRAT).
1. Farchione, T. J., Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K., Curreri, A. J., Wang, M., & Barlow, D. H. (in press). Unified Protocol: A transdiagnostic CBT approach. In N. M. Simon, E. Hollander, B. O. Rothbaum, & D. J. Stein (Eds.), APA Textbook of Anxiety, Trauma, and OCD-related Disorders. Washington, D.C.: APA Publishing.
1. Jarvi, Steele, S. (2018). Unified Protocol for treating multiple mental health concerns. Science Trends. https://sciencetrends.com/unified-protocol-for-treating-multiple-mental-health-concerns/
2. Jarvi, S. M. (2016). Understanding self-injury: What it means, why it happens, what to do. Student Health 101, March 1, 2016.
Awards, Fellowships & Grants
2019 – 2021 National Institute of Health Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program (LRP) Award
Williams College, Psychology Department
2014 – 2016 NIMH National Research Service Award (NRSA; F31 MH104011A)
Suffolk University, Department of Psychology
McLean Hospital & Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
2016 Brown Clinical Psychology Internship Research Grant, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
American Psychological Association (APA)
Division 12: Society of Clinical Psychology
Division 44: Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity
Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
ABCT Special Interest Group: Suicide & Self-Injury
Association for Psychological Science (APS)
International Society for the Study of Self-Injury (ISSS)
2018 – Associate Editor, The Clinical Psychologist, APA Division 12
2018 – Reviewer, Annual Conference for the Society for Clinical Psychology, APA Division 12
Ad Hoc Reviewing:
Aging and Mental Health
Behavior Research and Therapy (BRAT)
British Journal of Guidance and Counselling
Computers in Human Behavior
International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction
Journal of Clinical Psychology
Journal of Psychological Abnormalities in Children
Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment
Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging
Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment
Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy