Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology
M.A. Suffolk University, Clinical Psychology (2012)
Ph.D. Suffolk University, Clinical Psychology (2017)
Areas of Expertise
Postdoctoral & Clinical Training/Experience:
2017-2019: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Boston University, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders
2016-2017: Clinical Psychology Internship Training Consortium
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Broadly, I am interested in understanding and identifying risk factors and transdiagnostic mechanisms that lead to onset and maintenance of self-injurious thoughts and behaviors (SITBs) in emotional disorders. Consistent with clinical, developmental, and social psychology models of NSSI, I utilize cross-sectional, behavioral, and both quantitative and qualitative methodologies in my research.
Additionally, I am a licensed clinical psychologist in MA (license #11480), with specific training and interests in the evaluation of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to treat mood, obsessive-compulsive, and anxiety disorders, and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) for borderline personality disorder.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
1. Liu, R. T., Jarvi Steele, S., Hamilton, J. L., Do, Q. B. P., Furbish, K., Burke, T. A., Martinez, A., & Gerlus, N. (2020). Sleep and suicide: A systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Clinical Psychology Review. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2020.101895
2. Jarvi Steele, S., Furbish, K., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Swenson, L. P. (2020). An exploratory mixed methods approach to implicit and explicit identification with non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2020.101594
3. Sauer-Zavala, S.*, Fournier, J.*, Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (2020). Does the Unified Protocol really change neuroticism? Results from a randomized trial. Psychological Medicine, 21, 1-10. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1017/S0033291720000975. *First authorship is shared
4. Sauer-Zavala, S., Bentley, K. H., Jarvi Steele, S., Wilner Tirpak, J., Ametaj, A. A., Nauphal, M., Cardona, N., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (2020). Treating depressive disorders with the Unified Protocol: A preliminary randomized evaluation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 264, 438-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.11.072
5. Peckham, A. D., Jordan, H., Silverman, A. L., Jarvi Steele, S., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Beard, C. (2019). From urges to action: Negative urgency and nonsuicidal self-injury in an acute transdiagnostic sample. Archives of Suicide Research. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2019.1625831
6. Jarvi Steele, S., Farchione, T. J., Cassiello-Robbins, C., Ametaj, A., Sbi, S., Sauer-Zavala, S., & Barlow, D. H. (2018). Efficacy of the Unified Protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of comorbid psychopathology accompanying emotional disorders compared to treatments targeting single disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 104, 211-216. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.08.005
7. Jarvi, S. M., Swenson, L. P., & Batejan, K. L. (2017). Motivation for and use of social network sites: Comparisons among college students with and without histories of non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of American College Health, 65, 306-312. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2017.1312410
8. Jarvi, S. M., Hearon, B. A., Batejan, K. L., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Relations between past-week physical activity and recent nonsuicidal self-injury in treatment-seeking psychiatric adults. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 73, 479-488. doi: 10.1002/jclp.22342
9. Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2016). The role of positive expectancies in risk behavior: An exploration of alcohol use and non-suicidal self-injury. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 38, 115-122. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000417
10. Jarvi, S. M., Baskin-Sommers, A., Hearon, B. A., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Borderline personality traits predict poorer functioning after partial hospitalization: The mediating role of depressive symptomatology. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 40, 128-138. doi: 10.1007/s10608-015-9726-0
11. Batejan, K. L., Swenson, L. P., Jarvi, S. M., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2015). Perceptions of the functions of non-suicidal self-injury in a college sample. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 36, 338-344. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000332
12. Batejan, K. L., Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2015). Relations between sexual orientation and non-suicidal self-injury: A meta-analytic review. Archives of Suicide Research, 19, 131-150. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2014.957450
13. Muehlenkamp, J. J., Swenson, L. P., Batejan, K. L., & Jarvi, S. M. (2015). Participating in NSSI survey research: Affective reactions and urges to self-injure. Clinical Psychological Science, 3, 26-37. doi: 10.1177/2167702614531579
14. Reisner, S. L., Conron, K. J., Tardiff, L. A., Jarvi, S. M., & Austin, S. B. (2014). Monitoring the health of transgender and other gender minority populations: Validity of natal sex and gender identity survey items in a U.S. national cohort of young adults. BMC Public Health, 14, 1-10. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-1224
15. Jarvi, S. M., Jackson, B., Swenson, L. P., & Crawford, H. L. (2013). The impact of social contagion on non-suicidal self-injury: A review of the literature. Archives of Suicide Research, 17, 1-19. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2013.748404
Manuscripts Under Review:
(*) Indicates an article (#1) in which an undergraduate mentee was included as an author.
1. *Jaffe, N., & Jarvi Steele, S. College students’ experiences with and attitudes toward teletherapy during COVID-19. Journal of American College Health.
2. Trueba, A. F., Smith, N., Jarvi Steele, S., Wessman, I., Stewart, J. G., & Bjorgvinsson, T. Transdiagnostic nonsuicidal self-injury as a predictor of higher experiential avoidance and treatment outcome. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
3. Bjornsson, A., Wessman, I., Alexandri, M., Wadsworth, L. P., Jou, J., Thorgeirsdottir, M., Williston, S. K., Danitz, S. B., Jarvi Steele, S., Beard, C., Hofmann, S. G., & Bjorgvinsson, T. Reactions to intrusive images across psychiatric disorders. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy.
(*) Indicates an article (#1) in which a undergraduate mentees were included as a co-authors.
1. *Jarvi Steele, S., Jaffe, N., & Murray, G. (invited guest author, in press). Social contagion of NSSI. In I. Baetens, E. Lloyd-Richardson, & J. Whitlock (Eds.), The Handbook of Nonsuicidal Self-Injury. Oxford University Press.
2. Farchione, T. J., Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K., Curreri, A. J., Wang, M., & Barlow, D. H. (2020). Unified Protocol: A transdiagnostic CBT approach. In N. M. Simon, E. Hollander, B. O. Rothbaum, & D. J. Stein (Eds.), APA Textbook of Anxiety, Trauma, and OCD-related Disorders (pp. 113-122). Washington, D.C.: APA Publishing.
Poster Presentations involving Williams College student projects:
- Jaffe, N., & Jarvi Steele, S. (accepted). A mixed methods exploration of teletherapy in a college sample during COVID-19. Poster to be presented at the North American Chapter of the Society for Psychotherapy Research annual conference, November 2021.
- Wolfson, E., Jaffe, N., & Jarvi Steele, S. (accepted). Minority identities and implicit identification with non-suicidal self-injury. Poster to be presented at the 55th Annual Convention for the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), November 2021.
- Jaffe, N., & Jarvi Steele, S. (accepted). Usage of and attitudes toward teletherapy in a college sample during COVID-19. Poster to be presented at the 55th Annual Convention for the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), November 2021.
- Jaffe, N., Swenson, L. P., & Jarvi Steele, S. (2020). Examining predictors of implicit identification with non-suicidal self-injury: The role of anti-suicide and interpersonal factors. Poster presented at the New England Psychological Association (NEPA) Annual Meeting, Worcester, MA.
- Jaffe, N., Swenson, L. P., & Jarvi Steele, S. (2020). Exploring the relationship between functions of non-suicidal self-injury and the Self-Injury Implicit Association Test. Presented at the 54th Annual Convention for Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), Suicide and Self-Injury Special Interest Group Poster Session, Philadelphia, PA.
- Murray, G., & Jarvi Steele, S. (2020). A retrospective investigation of adolescent bullying involvement and non-suicidal self-injury. Presented at the 54th Annual Convention for the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT), Philadelphia, PA.
Awards, Fellowships & Grants
2019 – 2021 National Institute of Health Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program (LRP) Award
Williams College, Psychology Department, Mentor: Laurie Heatherington, Ph.D.
2014 – 2016 NIMH National Research Service Award (NRSA; F31 MH104011A)
Suffolk University, Department of Psychology, Sponsor: Lance Swenson, Ph.D.
McLean Hospital & Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
2016 Brown Clinical Psychology Internship Research Grant, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
American Psychological Association (APA):
Division 12: Society of Clinical Psychology
Division 44: Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity
Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
ABCT Special Interest Group: Suicide & Self-Injury
Association for Psychological Science (APS)
International Society for the Study of Self-Injury (ISSS)
2018 – Present: Associate Editor, The Clinical Psychologist, APA Division 12
2018 – Present: Reviewer, Annual Conference for the Society for Clinical Psychology, APA Division 12
Ad Hoc Reviewing:
Aging and Mental Health
Behavior Research and Therapy (BRAT)
British Journal of Guidance and Counselling
Computers in Human Behavior
International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction
Journal of American College Health
Journal of Clinical Psychology (JCP)
Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology (JCCP)
Journal of Psychiatric Research
Journal of Psychological Abnormalities in Children
Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment
Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging
Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment
Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
Current Research Assistants in BASIL:
Nigel Jaffe; Edward Wolfson; Stephanie Teng
Grace Murray, ’20; Cailin Stollar, ’21