Senior Lecturer in Psychology, The Class of 1959 Director of Program in Teaching
Ph.D. City University of New York, Developmental Psychology (1985)
Areas of Expertise
The development of curiosity and invention, children’s ideas, the impact of college, school reform.
PSYC 338 SEMInquiry, Invention and Ideas (not offered 2021/22)
PSYC 372 SEMAdvanced Seminar in Teaching and Learning (not offered 2021/22)
PSYC 373 SEMCritical Issues in Learning and Teaching (not offered 2021/22)
Engel, S.L. (2018). The Children You Teach: Using a Developmental Framework in the Classroom. Heinemann Pubs.
Engel, S.L. (2018). Why We Say “Why” When We Do. Essay for IEEE CIS Newsletter on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, P.Oudeyer (Ed).
- Engel, S.L. (2017). The Problems of Play. Chapter in Cambridge Handbook of Play P.Smith and J.Roopnarine (Eds), Cambridge University Press.
- Engel, S.L. (2017). Teaching Today’s Kids to Spot Tomorrow’s Fake News. Bloomberg View.
- Engel, S.L. (2016). A School of Our Own: The Story of the First Student Run High School (coauthored with Samuel Levin). The New Press.
- Engel, S.L. (2015). The Hungry Mind: The Origins of Curiosity in Childhood. Harvard University Press.
- Honor and Discipline Committee, Chair
Advising for all Williams students interested in studying education and/or pursuing a career in teaching. The program also offers a wide range of education related activities. Please feel free to contact me to find out more about these activities.
Co-founder and educational advisor to the Hayground School, Bridgehamptyon, NY. Responsible for supervision of teaching, curriculum development, assessment, and advising for parents, children and special events.