Senior Lecturer in Psychology; Senior Faculty Fellow, Rice Center for Teaching, The Class of 1959 Director of Program in Teaching
Ph.D. City University of New York, Developmental Psychology (1985)
Areas of Expertise
The development of curiosity and invention, children’s ideas, the impact of college, school reform.
PSYC 272 LECPsychology of Education (not offered 2023/24)
PSYC 333 TUTChildren's Minds (not offered 2023/24)
PSYC 373 SEMCritical Issues in Learning and Teaching (not offered 2023/24)
PSYC 408 SEMThe Psychology of College (not offered 2023/24)
PSYC 418 SEMSuckers and Scammers (not offered 2023/24)
- Engel, S.L. (2021). The Intellectual Lives of Children. Harvard University Press.
Engel, S.L. (2018). The Children You Teach: Using a Developmental Framework in the Classroom. Heinemann Pubs.
Engel, S.L. (2018). Why We Say “Why” When We Do. Essay for IEEE CIS Newsletter on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, P.Oudeyer (Ed).
- Engel, S.L. (2017). The Problems of Play. Chapter in Cambridge Handbook of Play P.Smith and J.Roopnarine (Eds), Cambridge University Press.
- Engel, S.L. (2017). Teaching Today’s Kids to Spot Tomorrow’s Fake News. Bloomberg View.
- Engel, S.L. (2016). A School of Our Own: The Story of the First Student Run High School (coauthored with Samuel Levin). The New Press.
- Engel, S.L. (2015). The Hungry Mind: The Origins of Curiosity in Childhood. Harvard University Press.
- Standing Grievance Panel
Advising for all Williams students interested in studying education and/or pursuing a career in teaching. The program also offers a wide range of education related activities. Please feel free to contact me to find out more about these activities.
Co-founder and educational advisor to the Hayground School, Bridgehamptyon, NY. Responsible for supervision of teaching, curriculum development, assessment, and advising for parents, children and special events.